Quaker meeting house torn down, 1946

Loading...
Thumbnail Image
Authors
Issue Date
1946-10-31
Type
Image
Language
Keywords
Quakers Friends churches religion
Research Projects
Organizational Units
Journal Issue
Alternative Title
Abstract
Description
This photograph documents the razing of the 75-year-old Quaker meeting house at in Fremont Park in late October 1946. The Nov. 3, 1946, Enquirer and News noted that it was the city's last structural link with the small band of Friends who had settled here a century prior. Between 1848 and 1899, the site of what would be Fremont Park was used by the Society of Friends for its meeting house and cemetery. In 1889, the city leased the land from the Quakers for the city park. "The meeting house, used these last 47 years as a tool shed by the park department, had become a fire hazard," the caption read. "It had two front doors, side by side, one for men, the other from women, who worshiped there in silence with a colonnade between them. Don Post, Ramond Road wrecker, and a helper on the ladder, leveled the building, finding no relics but an 1886 penny."
Citation
Publisher
License
Journal
Volume
Issue
PubMed ID
DOI
ISSN
EISSN